The Melatonin Dosage
I have finished the self-experiment with Melatonin. In the first week I took 5 mg at bedtime and then I added weekly 5 mg for about several months. Due to some inquiries from interested people, I have now decided to present a final report…
The goal in this self-experiment was to test the effects on body and mind with a higher dose of melatonin. The connection that was drawn by me was that the melatonin production of the pineal gland is supported and more melatonin should occur in the body than is produced naturally. According to various research results, it was admitted that an extra dose of melatonin has different effects, among which increased dream recall, stimulation of the pineal gland becomes possible, but also prevents cancer, heart attacks, strokes, arteriosclerosis, migraines and hair growth problems. It is also said to have a rejuvenating effect. In laboratory tests one wants to have observed that rats received a more beautiful fur by the income of Melatonin and thus one hoped that similar with humans shows up. Side effects are said to be depression and sleep disorders.
In the first week with the dose of 10 mg per evening before bedtime I could confirm on the one hand that short-lived depressions can occur. They are quite short, perhaps up to 15 minutes long. Listlessness, melancholy and some form of aimlessness. Most of the time, however, I could notice an increased, emotional detachment and indifference that often extended into the afternoon of the following day. Likewise, I could notice an increased disorientation upon waking up. Since I sleep twice a day, i.e. at night and in the afternoon, it was often unclear to me what time of day it was. Physically, my body tended to urinate more, but I often had the feeling of having slept deeper than usual after waking up. I can’t report any problems falling asleep at all, rather the opposite. The melatonin was definitely good to use as a sleeping pill.
In the second week I took only 10 mg. The disorientation upon waking subsided a bit, as did the emotional detachment. Again, no physical inconsistencies. Sleep seemed deep and after only 5-6 hours of sleep I felt more than rested. Rarely did fatigue extend into midday. However, I noticed an additional lack of concentration. The intense preoccupation with just one thing diminished, also the desire for sexual activity seemed curbed.
Melatonin Side Effects
Related to dreaming I can say that my dream recall first increased and then decreased, not least because of increased indifference to personal dreams or wanting to recall them. Many things seemed less important than usual. Other physical benefits from taking melatonin such as cancer, heart attacks, strokes, arteriosclerosis, migraines, hair growth problems as well as rejuvenation symptoms I cannot confirm with regard to this short period of time. Not also for the reason that the listed diseases have hardly caused me any problems. My coat is also not shiny more than usual. But I don’t know if my statements can stand up to long-term tests of maybe several months to years.
The Sleep Hormone Melatonin – Melatonin as a Sleep aid and Melatonin for Sleeping
Melatonin is also called the sleep hormone, because melatonin is used as a sleep aid, i.e. melatonin for sleeping is optimal. No side effects and it also helps the pineal gland to decalcify. But always remember that if your own pineal gland is working well, you should not enrich your blood with externally supplied melatonin for too long.
After a few weeks of taking melatonin, all side effects have actually faded. Presumably, the body has become accustomed to it and a certain increased tolerance threshold to the active ingredient has developed. Tests with melatonin derived from bovine brain would certainly be interesting, as I had only used vegetarian melatonin so far. However, I am not sure I would want to test that.
I tried higher amounts, i.e., starting with 5 mg capsules and adding an additional 5 mg each week. The maximum dose then eventually amounted to 80 mg daily.
Many websites and some blogs advise against such a high dosage and that bad side effects could occur. On closer inspection, it always turned out that the authors of the articles had not tested this in practice, but simply wanted to have a theoretical say. Neither were there side effects nor any other restrictions or problems. Taking 5 mg compared to 80 mg was hardly distinguishable.
This then led me to believe that the body copes very well with it. However, what I noticed was that my hairline became dark again, i.e. a higher amount of melatonin causes a resupply and refreshment of the hair, the white pigmentation of the hair decreased, both at the hairline and in existing hair. This showed that lack of melatonin was indeed related to graying hair.
Melatonin Effect on Melatonin Intake
After my self-test I came to the following conclusions:
- Melatonin is certainly helpful as a sleeping pill for a desired sleep period of 5 to 6 hours. Thus, very helpful for people with sleep disorders.
- Melatonin is likewise useful for people with a tendency to exaggerate their emotions, where it is important to take a break from their emotions for a while.
- Melatonin can reduce libido.
- Well suited as a substitute for antidepressants, since melatonin creates a certain distance to reality and emotional life.
- Dream recall or increased third eye stimulation did not occur remarkably, if at all, only in the first few days with 5 mg. Somehow it was subject to some fluctuations. There were nights with strikingly good dream recall and then again with none.
- That melatonin causes sleep disturbances cannot be confirmed in any way, rather the opposite. It is well suited as a sleep aid or to compensate for jet lag.
- I did not notice any physical side effects, so melatonin is even better suited as a sleeping pill than conventional sleeping pills. The initial, short-lived depressions only appeared with an overdose beginning at 30 mg daily.
- At high dosage, from about 50 mg daily, a slightly dissociative state can appear in the morning after getting up. I felt a little removed from the world, more as an observer. Everything seemed a little like a dream. This effect is probably due to stimulation of the pineal gland.
- Graying hair becomes darker again from a dose of about 20 mg. Gray hair recedes.
In the USA and many other countries Melatonin is freely available. If you order melatonin abroad, it is usually intercepted by customs and destroyed. In addition, there is then a fine of 30 euros. Nothing will be refunded. If you are interested in ordering melatonin, you should do it within your country. England and Holland are certainly good sources for Europeans.
Did you feel resonance while reading this article? Then have a look…: